Wise Men (2b)
All remaining outlines were worked, except the inside lines for the sleeves.
The linings of the sleeves were underlaid with Chain stitches.
So that the filling pattern can line up on both sections on either side of the vessel, one horizontal thread reaching in both sections was withdrawn.
From there the Limet grid was established.
A Röserich filling pattern – No. 453 A 1 – (The most beautiful Röserich Filling Patterns) was worked (coton à broder No. 20). And even if the pattern segments are somewhat wider, adjusting the pattern to the shape turns out well.
Then the missing line for the sleeve was worked on top of the pattern.
The same was done on the opposite side
and on the skirt of the coat. The padding of the sleeve lining was covered with Satin stitches. Satin stitches were also worked for the neck cloth. The scarf and the hands remain unembellished.
Wise Men (2a)
The embroidery starts with the beard. It was worked with Stem stitches (2 strands of 6-ply stranded cotton). Next the facial outline was embroidered.
To get the brim of the hat well defined, the outline was embroidered with Back stitches.
To get the brim padded, an underlay with Chain stitches was worked (both coton à broder No.16).
The underlay was covered with Satin stitches (2 strands of 6-ply stranded cotton).
The hat got a narrow Limet filling pattern with Easy Eyelet stitches and single Satin stitch bars.
Vessel and hands were outlined with wrapped Back stitches (2 strands of 6-ply stranded cotton).
To be able to work a filling pattern into the narrow vessel shape, thread withdrawing was done across the entire vessel all at one time.
Wave stitches were worked (coton à broder No. 25)
Then the missing marking lines were added.
And finally, the knob of the vessel was worked with padded Satin stitches (2 strands of 6-ply stranded cotton).
Wise Men (1b)
Then I forgot to photograph some steps. I wanted to use a beautiful filling pattern for the coat of the Wise Men – Little Stars and Rose Stitches (Stars, pattern 13). Because it is difficult to work this pattern into small shapes, I decided to work the pattern in one step. Therefore I embroidered only the outline edges (coton à broder No. 16) of the pattern area, worked the pattern (coton à broder No.30) and added the missing outlines for the sleeve afterwards.
Because the marking lines could only be slightly seen through the pattern, it was not easy to work the Slanting Wide Stem stitches on top of the pattern. But working the pattern was easy without having to make adjustments at the dividing lines.
The lining got a Limet Rose stitch pattern.
For the sleeve cuff I looked for a modest pattern and decided on Rose stitches again. But because of the small pattern area, they were worked on a grid leave 2 – cut 1.
In this way I could place enough Rose stitches to get a nice pattern appearance. In the lining I should have done the same grid.
The vessel was decorated with Van Dyke stitches (Early Schwalm Whitework) and Blanket stitches. The hand was left unworked.
Wise Men (1a)
The embroidery starts with the hair and the beard. It is worked with Stem stitches (coton à broder No. 20). Next the facial outline,
the outlines of the hand, and the outlines of the vessel were embroidered (all coton à broder No.20).
The outlines of the crown were embroidered with Coral Knot stitches (coton à broder No. 16).
The crown was embellished with Chain stitches and French Knots (Early Schwalm Whitework) with three wraps, both worked with coton à broder No.16.
The embroidery starts with the nuts. To follow the curve well, very short Stem stitches (coton à broder No. 16) were worked. Some more lines are marked to connect the leaves to the nuts and to see the leaves’ approximate center lines. Short and long stitches (2 strands of 6-ply stranded cotton) were worked along the outline of the first leaf from its base to the point. The stitches should not cover the middle section. Reaching the tip one can follow the instructions in the article How to Work Small Pointed Leaves.
The stitches for the next leaf were worked close to the first.
From left to right one leaf after the other was worked in the established way.
To represent the trunk, I used an element of early Schwalm Whitework – Blanket stitches stitched through the fabric. The stitches (coton à broder No. 16) were placed in changing distances from each other. Because the rows are short and because it is easier for me to work Blanket stitches from left to right, I always started the rows on the left.
This pattern without thread withdrawal makes it easy to match the shape at the bottom of the trunk.
The result is good.